Sunday, May 20, 2007

Books, Part I


I've got a good, old-fashioned 9-5 set up right now which means the S!R!E! (Summer! reading! extravaganza!) has begun. Just finished one that really rocked my socks off. The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls. Five Stars! A rollercoaster of a memoir, crazy adventures and free-thinking parents and resilient champion kids, lots of creeps and alcohol and exploring and heartbreak and such. It has just given me a lot to think about and I'm kind of still wrapping my mind around it but I'd like to enthusiastically recommend it not to the faint of heart but only to those who like adrenaline and tragic quirkiness.

Anyway, I am eager for recommendations so feel free to make some S!R!E! suggestions. I have this tendency to read things in one sitting, which I enjoy, but it also means I'm in constant need of new material.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I read the Glass Castle in January and it is definately one of the best books I have ever read!It sucked me in and I read it in a day and a half. Another one I recently read was "Snowflower and the Secret Fan" Its a novel but based on alot of history. Its about a young girl in China and her whole footbinding experience. Fantastic read!
Im now in search of a good read as well. lets share.
Smithy

Anonymous said...

Glass Castle has been on my book list for a while and given your recommendation, I am moving it up on the list. I highly recommend The Time Traveler's Wife (I made Peter read it and he liked it too!). Also, I cannot remember if you have read the Kite Runner or not. If you haven't, it is a must read- definitely one of my all time favorites. I also recommend Middlesex and Veronica Decides to Die (but do not read that one during finals -- it is a much safer summer read).

Anonymous said...

If you like quirky memoirs than you should try, "A Girl Named Zippy" by Haven Kimmel, and "Why I'm Like This" by Cynthia Kaplan.

gurrbonzo said...

these suggestions are great. the hub reads important, useful books, so i have to keep reminding him it is SUMMER TIME and summer reading is light. just finished a girl named zippy and why i'm like this as part of the memoir kick, and have a pile of 15 others awaiting me (thank you amazon used books...you've made S!R!E! more enjoyable). please keep any other suggestions coming.